CNN Scrambles as White House Bans Jim Acosta Again Once Restraining Order Expires

politics
November 19, 2018Nov 19, 2018

CNN has requested an emergency hearing after the White House send Jim Acosta a letter informing him that his press pass will be suspended again once the temporary restraining order expires.

CNN’s Brian Stelter filed a report calling for a preliminary injunction at the end of the month.

“The White House is continuing to violate the First and 5th Amendments of the Constitution,” CNN said in a statement. “These actions threaten all journalists and news organizations. Jim Acosta and CNN will continue to report the news about the White House and the President.”

Last week, a federal judge ordered the Trump White House to immediately restore CNN Chief White House Correspondent Jim Acosta’s press pass.

“We are gratified with this result and we look forward to a full resolution in the coming days,” said CNN in a statement. “Our sincere thanks to all who have supported not just CNN, but a free, strong and independent American press.”

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1063459131091271687

The White House later responded to the judge’s ruling in a statement from press secretary Sarah Sanders.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1063472256997892097

“Today, the court made clear that there is no absolute First Amendment right to access the White House. In response to the court, we will temporarily reinstate the reporter’s hard pass. We will also further develop rules and processes to ensure fair and orderly press conferences in the future. There must be decorum at the White House.”

In a surprising move, Fox News President Jay Wallace released a statement on Wednesday voicing his support for CNN’s lawsuit against the Trump administration for revoking Jim Acosta’s press credentials.

Fox also announced that it will file an amicus brief with the US District Court in support of CNN’s lawsuit.

“FOX News supports CNN in its legal effort to regain its White House reporter’s press credential. We intend to file an amicus brief with the U.S. District Court,” said Fox News in the statement.

“Secret Service passes for working White House journalists should never be weaponized,” the statement continued. “While we don’t condone the growing antagonistic tone by both the President and the press at recent media avails, we do support a free press, access and open exchanges for the American people.”

“The wrongful revocation of these credentials violates CNN and Acosta’s First Amendment rights of freedom of the press, and their Fifth Amendment rights to due process,” said CNN’s statement. “We have asked this court for an immediate restraining order requiring the pass be returned to Jim, and will seek permanent relief as part of this process.”

UPDATE: The White House has now backed off their revocation of Acosta's hard pass.

https://twitter.com/johnrobertsFox/status/1064601461626146819

CNN has dropped their lawsuit against the White House in response to the news.

https://twitter.com/CNNPR/status/1064618544921526273

Next: ‘The View’ Slams Hillary Clinton for Defending Bill in Lewinsky Scandal, Changing the SubjectOct 15, 2018