For now, disgraced actor Jessie Smollett will not lose his acting gig on the hit show “Empire” amid reports that he staged a hate crime attack on himself in Chicago last month.
TMZ, citing “production sources,” reported on Tuesday:
“Production sources tell TMZ … Jussie was supposed to have 9 scenes and a big musical number in the second to the last episode — which is being shot now — but, 5 of his scenes have been cut, and his musical number has been 86’d.
As for the remaining 4 scenes … we’re told he’s no longer the focus. The scene features an ensemble, meaning he’s flanked by a number of cast members.”
The reported added: “With his duties pared down, Jussie will be spending way less time on set. Instead of working every day this week, we’re told Jussie’s working Friday and possibly Thursday, and he won’t be rehearsing.”
While his role is getting slashed, some will certainly wonder how in the world Smollett could keep his job after pulling such an elaborate stunt.
Smollett is accused of paying two brothers, acquaintances of his, to stage the attack. The actor initially suggested two Trump supporters beat him while yelling homophobic and racist slurs, ultimately pouring bleach on him and wrapping a rope around his neck.
One source told CBS Chicago that Smollett was angry that a racist letter sent to the “Empire” studios didn’t get enough attention, so he decided to stage the attack.
Many high-profile Democrats, including 2020 candidates Cory Booker and Kamala Harris, rushed to support Smollett before the facts were known. Now that it appears to be a hoax, the same Democrats say they are waiting until all the facts are known.
Just watch Harris as she's left speechless by a question about her past tweet on Smollett:
That’s called hypocrisy.