The man who lit himself on fire near the White House on Wednesday has died in the hospital from his injuries.
The deceased man has been identified as 33-year-old Arnav Gupta by U.S. Park Police.
Authorities say Gupta was reported missing by his family on Wednesday morning. Hours later, he was recorded on video lighting himself on fire near the White House in a “USA” t-shirt.
Disturbing video footage showed the man engulfed in flames as he walked slowly near the Washington Mall. He was standing upright when first responders extinguished the flames with a fire extinguisher.
“At 12:22 p.m., officers from the United States Park Police and United States Secret Service responded to a report of an adult male who reportedly lit himself on fire on the Ellipse near 15th and Constitution Avenue,” the National Park Service told the Daily Mail in a statement.
The statement added: “USSS personnel extinguished the fire within seconds. The individual was transported to a local hospital for treatment. The incident is under investigation. No additional information is available at this time.”
Gupta was transported to the hospital with burns on 85 percent of his body. He eventually died from his “life threatening” injuries.
The incident sparked security concerns at the White House. Law enforcement has so far not revealed a possible motive for why Gupta lit himself on fire.