The family of Nicholas Sandmann, the Covington teen who became the face of the “MAGA” March of Life controversy, has hired a high-profile attorney following media smears against their son.
“The family of 16-year-old Covington Catholic High School student Nicholas Sandmann, having already contracted Kentucky’s largest public relations firm to help repair his image after a viral incident outside the Lincoln Memorial, on Thursday hired a Georgia attorney known for aggressive libel and slander suits against media organizations,” WCPO reported.
The attorney, L. Lin Wood, was nicknamed “attorney for the damned” by Dan Rather.
Sandmann family attorney Todd McMurtry said in a news release that Wood is “committed to bringing justice to 16-year-old Nick Sandmann and his family.”
The media has plenty to be worried about too. Many journalists and media organizations jumped to condemn Sandmann and his classmates before all the information emerged.
Sandmann was seen in a viral video standing face-to-face with Native American protester Nathan Phillips. It was initially reported that Sandmann was “taunting” Phillips, though video evidence later showed Phillips had inserted himself into that middle of the Covington Catholic students and started banging his drum right in Sandmann’s face.
During an interview, Sandmann said he thought that he could “diffuse” the situation by remaining still and not causing any problems.
Watch the interview below:
The WCPO report added: “Wood ‘often (seeks) eye-popping damages for those he believes have been libeled or slandered in the press,’ according to a 2011 Washington Post article about his defense of Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain. (Cain had been facing accusations of sexual harassment that derailed his campaign.)”
Media organizations maybe should start hiring their own attorneys right about now.